Volunteers are needed to assist in the efforts of the Prince William SPCA. We are an all-volunteer group that relies on the time, dedication and efforts of our volunteers. We have no staff. Whether you want to volunteer several hours a week or just a few hours every month or two, positions are available in all areas and can be tailored to meet your schedule. Once you register, you will be in our system and eligible to volunteer for a variety of activities which are announced primarily on our Facebook page. While we do send out specific request for help from time to time, we encourage all volunteers to visit our current listing (second link below) to see what is available. You must sign up for each event, activity or program for which you plan to volunteer.
10 Things All Volunteers Should do:
- Become a member for only $25 a year.
- “Like” us on Facebook to receive notifications of volunteer opportunities.
- Spay or neuter all of your pets.
- Organize a pet food drive for our pantry that helps needy families.
- Talk with managers or owners of businesses you frequent to see if they will be a sponsor of the Prince William SPCA, host a donation can or allow newsletters to be posted at their establishment.
- Attend a Prince William SPCA Board meeting or serve on our board.
- Make a donation in honor or memory of a special person or pet.
- Adopt your next pet from a local shelter.
- Post a “Pick Me” flyer in an area business.
- Contact us if you have an idea that will help animals in our community.
Community Outreach and Public Relations:
The main goal of the Prince William SPCA is to help reduce the numbers of homeless domestic animals through public education. Volunteers are needed to:
- Conduct Humane education programs (at schools, etc.)
- Write or contribute articles to newsletter
- Advertise programs, events, and needs
- Assist with publication of articles and radio/TV spots
The need for individuals to assist with administrative duties is always great. Volunteers are needed to:
- Maintain mailing list and database
- Procure supplies (office, shelter, vet, promo
- Solicit product donations, services, and “wish-list” items
Funding for Prince William SPCA activities, such as education and community awareness, is essential to our mission. Volunteers are needed to:
- Assist with membership drive
- Solicit donations and grants
- Sell raffle tickets
- Distribute and collect change cans
- Assist with mailings
- Plan and assist with events (cat shows, dog walks, etc.)
- Craft or bake for special events
Help with the P.A.W. Express:
Volunteers are needed to prepare the animals for the P.A.W. Express as well as work at the various adoption events. For a current schedule, please see our “Events” page.
Collect Donations for the Pet Food Pantry:
Our pet food pantry receives no subsidy from state, city, federal or county agencies and relies entirely on the public to stock its shelves. Volunteers are needed to host pet food drives and coordinate donations.
In an effort to help defray administrative costs, the Prince William SPCA is seeking out professionals and businesses to offer their services on an in-kind basis. By doing this, the Prince William SPCA can use more of its donated funds to help the animals, and in return, the professionals and businesses receive promotion from the group. Services that are needed include:
- Newsletter editing/publishing
Serve on the PWSPCA Board of Directors:
The key to any successful organization is great leadership. The Prince William SPCA is looking for a group of people who can work well together and for the benefit of animals in the county. We are looking for Board members from all areas of interest, including: veterinary industry, business community, government, schools and other nonprofits. Use your experience, profession, or business to help grow this new group into an organization from which all animals in the greater Prince William County region can benefit.